Proposed Legal Profession (Barristers) Rules 2016
TAKE NOTICE that the Tasmanian Bar proposes to make legal profession rules under Division 2 of Part 3.1 of the Legal Profession Act 2007 about legal practice in this jurisdiction engaged in by Australian legal practitioners who practise solely as barristers.
The object of the proposed rules is to prescribe a range of legal practice matters for Tasmanian barristers, including pupillage requirements, and also to:
- Adopt the Australian Bar Association model rules in modified form; and
- Rescind some redundant rules of practice relating to barristers.
An electronic copy of the proposed rules may be accessed on the Tasmanian Bar website (www.tasmanianbar.com.au). Alternatively, arrangements to obtain a copy of or inspect the proposed rules may be made by contacting the Tasmanian Bar by telephone on (03) 6223 3844 during normal business hours.
The Tasmanian Bar invites comments and submissions in relation to the proposed rules. Comments and submissions may be sent to the Tasmanian Bar by e-mail to
or by mail to:
The Tasmanian Bar
119 Hampden Road
Battery Point, Tasmania, 7000
The closing date for comments and submissions is 26 August 2016.
CHRIS GUNSON SC
Download pdf files for full details of the proposed changes below:
1. Proposed Legal Profession (Barristers) Rules 2016
2. Legal Profession (Barristers) Rules 2016 – Statutory Rules 2016, No.
3. Legal Profession Uniform Conduct (Barristers) Rules 2015